Closed captioning is designed to assist deaf or hearing-impaired people, English Language Learners, young children learning to read, and many others by displaying the dialogue or transcript of the audio portion of the program as printed words on the television screen.
- You can turn on closed captioning using either a set-top decoder or a caption-ready TV set.
- To determine whether a program on our website is closed captioned, look for the symbol “CC” in the video player.
- To learn more about closed captioning, see Wikipedia.
- To report an issue with closed captioning, please do the following:
- To report an issue with closed captioning, such as closed captioning suddenly stopping or becoming garbled during a captioned program or general questions about closed-captioning requirements for TV programming, please contact Kelley Clark, Director of Technology. He can be reached by phone at 541-200-2048; by e-mail at kclark[at]soptv.org; or by mail at SOPTV, 28 S. Fir St., Ste. 200, Medford, OR 97501.
- Note: Assistance is available 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Contacts by e-mail, please include “Closed Captioning” in the subject line of your e-mail.
CLOSED CAPTIONING QUALITY CERTIFICATION
All programming provided by SOPTV complies with the closed captioning requirements established by the Federal Communications Commission as embodied in 47 C.F.R. ß 79.1, including regulations concerning closed captioning quality.
- Southern Oregon Public Television (KSYS and KFTS) has an exempt status for captioning of locally produced programs based on its annual operating budget of less than three million dollars, which is compliant with the FCC’s captioning requirements.
- However, Southern Oregon Public Television’s television series Immense Possibilities, and several other programs, are broadcast and available online with closed captions. Where programs provided by SOPTV are captioned, they are compliant with the FCC’s captioning standards by satisfying the caption quality standards set forth in 47 C.F.R. ß 79.1(j)(2).