Diversity Strategic Initiatives
Initiatives undertaken by SOPTV to satisfy the CPB Operational Requirements for Diversity of Staff and Board for the October 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012 Reporting Period.
1. Review with station’s governing body the practices that are designed to fulfill the station’s commitment to diversity and meet the applicable FCC guidelines:
The SOPTV Board of Directors is responsible for strategic direction, policy and fiscal oversight of the organization and conducted a review of SOPTV’s recruitment and employment practices at its September 20th 2012 meeting.
SOPTV operates under the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) Equal Employment Opportunity regulations, which are part of SOPTV’s recruitment and search process for every position.
The Commission’s EEO rules have three recruitment and outreach objectives:
(1) Each Station Employment Unit must widely recruit across its entire community for every full-time job vacancy;
(2) Each Station Employment Unit must distribute job notifications to community and recruitment organizations that have request vacancy announcements; and
(3) Each Station Employment Unit must complete at least four supplemental recruitment initiatives in each two-year period.
In compliance with the FCC’s EEO rules, every open position at SOPTV is distributed to 5 community organizations as well as sites that serve veterans, minorities, persons with disabilities and state employment agencies. Examples include: The Job Council, Adult & Family Services and Jackson County RCC Diversity Office. Every full-time open position is posted or distributed by these as well as many other groups and sites.
2. Complete annual report of the organization’s hiring goals, guidelines, employment statistics and actions taken to satisfy the Diversity Eligibility policy and post on the station’s website.
This document is SOPTV’s annual report of the organization’s hiring goals, guidelines, employment statistics and actions taken concerning the Diversity Eligibility Policy. This report is posted on SOPTV’s website and is available for public inspection upon request.
3. Implement formal diversity training programs for management and appropriate staff.
SOPTV has contacted three local agencies (Oregon Employer’s Council, Disability and Diversity, Vocational Rehabilitation and Society for Human Resource Management) concerning diversity training programs. We are scheduling a workshop for management staff and supervisors before December 2012.
In addition to the above SOPTV undertook the following initiative to satisfy the CPB Operational Requirements for Diversity of Staff and Board during the last reporting period:
1. Include qualified diverse candidates in any slate of candidates for elected governing bodies.
The SOPTV Board elected three women to the Board of Directors including one woman of Native American heritage.
2. Implement a diversity training program for members of the organization’s governing body on an annual basis.
SOPTV has contacted three local agencies (Oregon Employer’s Council, Disability and Diversity, Vocational Rehabilitation and Society for Human Resource Management) concerning diversity training programs. Future plans include diversity training workshops for the board and managers at SOPTV.