Onsite Supervisor & Contact
Southern Oregon Public Television
This proposal outlines the learning objectives and expected outcomes for a Southern Oregon Public Television Pledge Production Assistant internship. Students who may be interested in this internship include those with majors/minors in media studies, television production, and theater.
About the SOPTV Mission and Public Charge
Southern Oregon Public Television provides Public Broadcasting Service programming to Southern Oregon and Northern California and also creates quality programming of interest and value to its community. Southern Oregon Public Television is a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) affiliate, one of 349 public television stations in the United States. A trusted community resource, PBS uses the power of noncommercial television, the Internet, and other media to enrich the lives of all Americans through quality programs and education services that inform, inspire, and delight. Available to 99 percent of American homes with televisions and to an increasing number of digital multimedia households, PBS serves nearly 100 million people each week. The PBS network of stations offers employment opportunities in a variety of disciplines including communications, engineering, accounting, information technology, creative services, development, programming, interactive services, and many other areas.
Learning Goals for the Internship
The intern will have completed entry level courses in TV production including Studio, Lighting, and Sound before they begin their Southern Oregon Public Television internship. Over the course of the live pledge, students will gain progressive exposure to and experience with live studio production to begin with studio observation and progress to the operation of camera and sound equipment.
- To appreciate the relationship of pledge to public television fund raising
- To understand the scripting and production of breaks for live and taped pledge broadcasts
- To understand lighting, sound, and set requirements for public television live pledge productions
- To gain studio experience with Southern Oregon Public Television camera, audio, graphics, floor directing, and lighting including hands-on work with camera and sound
Human Relation Skills:
- To appreciate the team dynamics required for successful live productions and facilitate same as needed
Term of the Internship
The internship will run the course of the Southern Oregon Public Television pledge period. The student will be expected to participate in all 4-6 live pledge nights which generally end 10-11pm.
Evaluation of Learning
By the end of the internship period, the student will have met the following objectives:
- Be able to articulate lighting, sound, and set requirements for public television live pledge productions
- Be able to demonstrate signals used by the floor director
- Be able to operate Southern Oregon Public Television cameras
- Be able to mic talent and conduct a sound check
- Be able to monitor sound equipment during the pledge production and maintain appropriate sound levels
At the end of the internship period, the onsite supervisor will meet with the intern to review the intern’s performance and accomplishments. A written report of the intern’s performance and accomplishments will be provided to the instructor within 10 days of the end of the internship period.
A completed internship application, resume, documentation of current matriculation and course registration, and the name, address, phone, and email address of the supervising faculty member should be forwarded to:
28 South Fir Street, Ste. 200
Medford, Oregon 97501