PBS Digital Innovators
Calling All Classroom Changemakers: Are YOU a PBS Digital Innovator?
Apply today for the 2017 PBS Digital Innovator Program! Applications are accepted now through February 12, 2017.
Who are PBS Digital Innovators? They are a community of PreK-12 educators, who set the bar for thoughtful tech integration in the classroom. They are not defined by the gadgets they use, but by the unique way they approach education. Their bold and enthusiastic perspective sets them apart as changemakers, and unlocks new worlds for their students.
The PBS Digital Innovator program brings together these thought-leaders and classroom changemakers for ongoing professional development and opportunities to share strategies, empower peers, and inspire students.
This year, all selected applicants will travel to San Antonio, TX from June 24-26 for a three-day, all-expenses-paid trip to the PBS Digital Innovators Summit and the ISTE 2017 Conference and Expo.
- Grow yourself, grow your practice: Apply today to access professional development opportunities from bold thinkers like you.
- Ignite curiosity and spark imagination: You’ll learn about extensive digital content and curriculum resources from PBS LearningMedia.
- Connect and network: Discover brilliant ideas, fun hacks, and energetic conversations- from colleagues like you who are transforming education.
PBS will select ONE teacher from each US state, the District of Columbia, and US territories as a 2017 PBS Digital Innovator.
Are YOU a 2017 PBS Digital Innovator? Apply today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a PBS Digital Innovator?
PBS Digital Innovators are K-12 educators; thought-leaders with a desire to empower their peers and share-strategies on how to best use digital media to enhance their practice, and inspire a love of learning among their students. As PBS ambassadors and education changemakers, they mirror PBS values in their teaching, embrace life-long learning and have a track record of putting innovative teaching strategies into practice.
What is the application process?
As in previous years we will rely on a competitive process to seek out one PBS Digital Innovator from each state, the District of Columbia and the US Territories. In addition to a number of professional opportunities, winners will travel to San Antonio, TX and attend the PBS Digital Innovators Summit and the first day of the 2017 ISTE Conference.
We are launching a new website and online application process on December 12th. The application process will remain open through midnight February 13th. The PBS Digital Innovator Summit in June will continue to be a hallmark of the program.
The application process includes:
- Video: A three minute “mini-presentation” video which demonstrates applicant’s passion and highlights a unique way to use/showcase a PBS LearningMedia tool or content
- Essay: A 250 word essay that provides a window into the applicant’s learning environment or instructional style
- Bio & Picture: a short bio and high quality pictures (headshot + Action shot)
- Quick questionnaire about the applicant
What are key dates for the 2017 PBS Digital Innovators program application?
- Station toolkit available week of December 5, 2016
- Station webinar (find the archive on onboard.pbslearningmedia.org) on December 9, 2016 at 1pm EST
- Applications open on December 12, 2016
- The application deadline is February 13, 2017 at 12:01am PST
- Stations will be notified of selected PBS Digital Innovators by March 13, 2017
- Selected applicants will be notified by March 15, 2017
- Selected applicants must confirm their participation by April 3, 2017
- The 2017 Class of PBS Digital Innovators will attend the PBS Digital Innovators Summit in San Antonio, TX on June 24 and 25, 2017 and day one of the ISTE 2017 Conference & Expo on June 26, 2017
What are the opportunities for PBS Digital Innovators?
PBS Digital Innovators are leaders in their schools and their communities, and help improve student learning through their thoughtful use of technology and digital media. The PBS Digital Innovator program helps these educators connect with others who are in the same space by providing tools to guide their leadership and growth, and opportunities to share their ideas in meaningful and transformative ways. As thought leaders they are encouraged to engage local stations, members of the community and their peers and leverage those relationships to amplify their ideas and creative uses of technology and digital media. Key benefits include:
- A three-day all-expenses paid trip to San Antonio, TX June 24-26, for the PBS Digital Innovators Summit and a pass for the first day of the ISTE 2017 Conference & Expo
- Digital gift to use in the classroom (TBD)
- Ongoing professional development through events, webinars and a free PBS TeacherLine course
- Subscription to PBS LearningMedia Custom, including exclusive PBS content for use in the classroom and state standards aligned content
- Opportunities to share ideas with thousands of like-minded educators, on national platforms
- Personal relationships with local PBS stations and ongoing opportunities to elevate educator voices in the community and work collaboratively with key education stakeholders
How do PBS Digital Innovators partner with stations?
PBS Digital Innovators, and our larger PBS Education community, relate closely to their local PBS member stations. Member stations attend the PBS Digital Innovators Summit, and will be provided with materials and support to promote the Program and answer questions. This is an ongoing relationship—PBS Digital Innovators are an important voice in their community and among their peers. They are encouraged to lead education activities with their local PBS member stations, and have the opportunity to attend trainings and events.
Does a teacher have to be a PBS Digital Innovator to be a member of the PBS Education community?
Only the selected PBS Digital Innovators will attend the ISTE Conference and PBS Digital Innovators Summit, and have access to specialized professional development opportunities, but every applicant will automatically become a member of PBS’ exciting educator community, and others can ask through their stations, online and through social media to join the community without applying to be a PBS Digital Innovator.
We are looking to build a fully integrated experience for educators, and our hope is that the PBS Digital Innovator community will serve as the foundation for a longer-term PBS Education community. This dedicated group of educators mirrors PBS Education values: advocating for the success of students in both school and life; uplifting the whole child by helping to improve academic achievement and overall physical and emotional wellbeing; fostering an environment of belonging, independence, and growth in classrooms, schools and other settings where learning happens and employing cooperative learning strategies which encourage student engagement through culturally relevant instruction.