SOPTV seeks an experienced educator to serve as a Teacher Ambassador as part of the PBS Teacher Community Program.
Criteria for candidates
- A successful licensed teacher of K-12 students in public schools in the Medford, Oregon or the surrounding region for at least 3 of the last 5 years
- A tech-savvy educator with a passion for using and integrating digital technology and media in educational settings
- A leader and demonstrated mentor with a desire to empower peers and strategies around current and relevant professional development opportunities
- An active sharer of content and ideas through social media
- An awareness of current trends in education and a demonstrated aptitude for innovative teaching practices
- A forward-thinking ambassador for education who embraces life-long learning, community partnerships, collaboration and who recognizes the power technology has to inspire students, and
- Other preferred qualities include creativity, clarity, persuasiveness, dynamism and experience with resources from PBS and PBS Education
Roles and responsibilities
The Teacher Ambassador will be an embedded staff person within SOPTV. As a team member, the Teacher Ambassador will be expected to collaborate with station staff, brainstorm new approaches and provide feedback as the teacher voice within SOPTV. The Teacher Ambassador’s primary focus will be on the Teacher Community Program.
- In consultation with SOPTV staff, develop and execute local and regional engagement activities that achieve the project’s objectives
- This will include developing and fostering relationships with southern Oregon education professionals, creating and facilitating presentations and professional development programs, promoting SOPTV and PBS resources, and regular travel throughout the service area
- Identify new areas of opportunity and target areas for improvement based on research and data collected as part of the Teacher Community Program
- Communicate feedback to stakeholders and make recommendations that build on successes
- Actively use multiple digital platforms to engage and grow the local teacher community in the SOPTV service area
- Serve as a mentor to new and struggling educators in the region
- Facilitate conversations with education professionals in the service area, and serve as a liaison between SOPTV, other participating Teacher Community Program stations and the greater PBS Education system
This is a full-time benefited position. It is open until filled, and interviews will occur on a rolling basis beginning April 3, 2017. The successful candidate must agree to continue in the position of Teacher Ambassador through at least June 30, 2019. Salary and benefits will be competitive with compensation for educators in the southern Oregon community.
Submit a letter of introduction and a resumé detailing professional experience and demonstration of Criteria. Also include names and contact information for at least 3 professional references who can affirm your recent experience and qualifications. Please do not submit letters from recommenders.
Send all materials to: Joyce Laidlaw, Human Resources Manager
Southern Oregon Public Television
28 S. Fir, Ste. 200
Medford, OR 97501
Southern Oregon Public Television is an Equal Opportunity Employer.